Actual view on site
Adelaide Convention Center - 400 meters
Adelaide University - 600 meters
Rundle Street - 900 meters
Rundle Mall - 700 meters
SAHMRI - 400 meters
University of SA - 200 meters
Adelaide Oval - 600 meters
A LOCATION STORY
In 1836, Colonel William Light, the appointed Surveyor-General of South Australia, and his team chose the location and planned Adelaide. Light's plan set out the City on a grid pattern that included six squares and a surrounding parklands that would act as a 'belt of greenery' around Adelaide.
Light Square was one of the six squares designed by Colonel William Light in his 1837 plan of Adelaide. Originally intended as a recreational garden oasis from the surrounding city. The centre of life for many people, they were places where people could meet friends, where business could be managed and jobs negotiated. Light Square was by 1880 surrounded by an cast iron palisade fence with six gates. Each of these gates opened onto paths laid throughout the Square that were lit at night by lampposts. Redevelopments took place in the 1920s that involved the redesign of paths, the removal of the cast iron palisade fence, new kerbing and the extensive landscaping by retaining a variety of tree species including: pepper trees, olive trees, Moreton Bay figs, southern nettle trees and river sheoak trees.
In recent years Light Square has seen a number of changes and additions. The mid 1980s saw renovations to the landscape, including the replacement of old trees with new ones and the reorganisation of the Square’s pathways. A bronze plaque, unveiled on 19 October 1986, now sits in Light Square acknowledging this redesign. As well as these renovations, a statue of Catherine Helen Spence was erected in the south west corner of the Square as part of the celebrations for the 150th anniversary of European settlement in South Australia in 1986. This life-size bronze statue was designed by Ieva Pocius, who was selected from the seven sculptors who submitted designs. The statue depicts Spence with a determined expression holding an open book on top of a three-tiered triangular pedestal. The inscription reads ‘Catherine Helen Spence 1825-1910 social and political reformer, writer and preacher who worked for children’ and was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II on 10 March 1986.
In March 2012 Light Square was given the name Wauwe as part of the Kaurna Naming Project. Wauwe, meaning female grey kangaroo, was named after the wife of Kadlitpinna, or 'Captain Jack', one of the three Kaurna Burka's, or elders, at the time of colonisation. In February 2013 the spelling was revised to Wauwi.
The Cullinan is situated on the southern side of the Light Square, with never to be built out parkland vista. Combined with the northly aspect which maximise the amenity of the apartments in terms of sunlight and cross ventilation, it is the last major development that could possess such offering.
Without a doubt, The Cullinan is truly a rare gem.